Chewing my keyboard

Friday, February 04, 2005

More art tutorial stuff here.

I'm going to start putting my various practices (mostly crummy) and compositions online.

My main project currently is the illustrations for 'The Little Yellow Book: A young person's guide to Liberal Democracy' for which I'm drawing a character called Liberty Belle who is a sorta manga-looking little girl in a voluminous yellow cowl necked jumper, large orange sneakers and sticking up ginger plaits (inspired by a character called 'Winnie Lucy Atwell' who used to appear on calendars in my mum's childhood. Never seen 'Winnie Lucy Atwell' and I can't find a link for her on Google [can anyone help?] but apparently she had plaits that stuck up vertically). Liberty Belle was originally created as the sprite for a flash game I've never got around to writing called "Liberty Belle goes leafletting" in which you had to avoid homocidal letterboxes, mad placard-wielding Tory farmers (ok, I've never met any of those), vicious dogs, etc...

I did buy some willow charcoal yesterday in 2 different sizes (charcoal = very cheap) and have done a vaguely passable life drawing of myself (in lieu of another subject) on WHsmith sketch paper using some of the techniques in the book mum bought me (part of a set) on 'Introducing Drawing the Nude' and on one of the sites I put down last time. It's amazing how using reference points and cylinders can produce a passable approximation to the human form completely painlessly. My only problem was I got the proportions wrong and overextended the torso. The photo I was using for the drawing (drawing one's back is difficult otherwise) was also completely washed out (poor lighting and bad colour capture by digital camera) so I couldn't use the photo to practice shading. I'm going to have to borrow the desk lamp out of my office to practice capturing lighting effects using pastels and conte crayon since I'm pretty good at outlines now but very bad at knowing how to shade properly.

Apparently if you can draw the human form you can draw anything so if I can produce an appropriately shaded person in more complex posture (lying or poised for dancing, for example) then I'm sorted for stuff like oranges, flowers, dragons, aliens, spacecraft, fractals...

2 Comments:

  • At February 4, 2005 at 4:15 AM, Blogger Will said…

    Viv, have a look at these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20132&item=3779193713&rd=1&ssPageName=WD4V
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=916&item=6150604961&rd=1&ssPageName=WD4V
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2226&item=6944714014&rd=1

    Any help?

     
  • At February 4, 2005 at 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks :D I've seen those but no vertical plaits :(

    Mum tells me that her Aunt had a 'Winnie Lucy Atwell' calendar so maybe Mabel Lucy Atwell just did a single calendar of the vertical plaited one...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home