Chewing my keyboard

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Various drawing links

I've noticed that a fair few of my pictures feature nude moving or stationary slim female figures (indeed, I painted a 'futurist' style running female nude on an LSE blackboard during a break in an LDYS meeting). Unfortunately, due to a lack of people who would either pose naked for me (or I would want them to pose naked - volunteers may have unwanted intent) I'm pretty stumped for some life models at the moment for anything but slim females (of which I have much experience - being one myself).

If you're interested in drawing the human form, there's a good tutorial here. There are more online art lessons on various things here. And more tips on drawing the human form here.

I've just got some soft pastels in a sale at a local stationary shop. I got 12 full stubs of various loud, contrasting colours and 48 half-stubs. Since you can't blend pastels 'on the palette', it's useful to get a set with graduated colours (think gradient function on PC paint programs). The 48 half-stubs give a limited set of white through yellow/orange/red, blue through purple/pink, green into aqua/grey and brown through sand/pink. The latter is a good set for portraiture or life drawing (if I had someone to life draw) although soft pastels aren't good for holding outlines/hard shapes. I may be better with some portraiture conte crayons which are harder and can be bought in a specified portraiture range of earth colours. Charcoal is also a popular medium for drawing the human form.

Wikipedia says this about pastels. More on pastels, including common mistakes. This is the main page about pastels from that site.

I do have some oil pastels that I bought on holiday in Chamonix about 2 years ago (I have a poorly executed picture of the campsite). Again, these are in a series of foul colours and, generally look like they were carried out by a pre-school group using wax crayons. I may have more success if I either smoothed/mixed the oil pastels with turpentine or combined them with the soft pastels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home